Thursday, June 12, 2014

Seeds From Heaven







"Our journey toward abundant living is like walking a spiritual labrynth repeatedly, from an ever deepening inner space. We walk toward the center to be transformed by God's love; then we walk outward to transform our small space in the world by reflecting God's love. There is no intention to trick us or get us lost along the journey, But there is mystery. Always mystery. And awe. And amazing grace."

-From Abundance by Marilyn Brown Oden

I received an amazing gift this week. I went to a Christian concert at the Riverbend festival in Chattanooga, TN. The performer was Toby Mac and ever since I saw him in Lexington, KY, Will has been so excited about getting to see him here. Toby Mac became one of his favorites. I guess he liked the beat.

Will spoke repeatedly about getting to go, but the thing I remember the most was his unwaivering belief that Toby Mac would sing "Our God is an Awesome God" and "Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul". That kind of music is usually outside his music genre, yet Will was convinced that if I asked Toby Mac he would certainly sing those songs.

I was excited about going. I love his music as well and was going with my dear friend Fab, also a beleiver in the supernatural power of the Holy Spirit. She holds a special place in my heart and I am glad that she was there to experience this as well.

I went with a heavy heart. I knew how excited I had been that Will and I were going to go to this concert together. We were always up for an adventure. I saw other fathers lifting their children onto their backs and other children dancing at their parents' feet. In those moments I reflected on my own loss.

The performance was great. Toby Mac put on a good show for Chattanooga. It was full of energy and worship and I was moved by the words he spoke that night. All in all it was a very pleasurable evening.

Then, during the encore, something "magical" happened. Toby strung together some of his most popular songs and in the middle of the last part of his performance he started singing "Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul". I was so ovewhelmed that I fell on the ground. My whole body lost strength and I collapsed to my knees. Tears of joy were streaming down my face and I was overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude. My son must of asked Jesus if He would let his daddy know that he was enjoying the show right along with me. The Holy Spirit moved over me and poured that comfort and love into my soul and I felt it in the goose bumps that covered my body.

Luke 24: 45-49

Then He opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, "This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgivness of sins will be preched in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things. I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high."

The disciples had not asked for it. It was a promised gift from God. That power overwhelmed the masses at Pentacost and empowered them to start a movement. That community of believers started humbly, yet with power, and spread around the world. That movement is continuously impacting lives and that power is real!

I am grateful for the Holy Spirit in my life. I am grateful that my son's story and my life are part of that movement. That power is my motivtion to share my life experiences and the comfort I receive in times of pain. It is my encouragement when other people experience grace and healing from my tragedy. It is the power that moves ahead of our own lives and arranges moments like the concert experience. This moment was set in motion before the tragedy even happened. That is what is so profoundly powerful about my story. That is the mystery!

I hope and pray that what I have lived and experienced will continue to touch and heal the hurting. If that happens, and it already has, then all the pain in my life is worth it. God Bless all who are on this journey with me.

To see Toby Mac sing "Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul" click the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntQ1-TQMpX0

No comments:

Post a Comment