Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Haiti: A Mission for the Heart Day 1



On July 13th I started a new journey that has stirred my Spirit for this sort of ministry. This particular mission has become a focal point for the ministry I am wanting to continue in Will's memory, and as I took this walk, it became very clear that this was the beginning of a new path and vision for me. I am so thankful for the opportunity to have gone and I want to convey that  appreciation to all who made this trip possible.

The trip from the US to Haiti was fairly uneventful. There was some air turbulence and one short delay related to a team member's passport, but overall we had a very peaceful excursion; however, what I encountered upon arrival was a shock. I had heard stories and I knew the region was impoverished but I was overwhelmed with how much devastation and brokenness that was still part of the environment. It can only be understood as a witness and I can only attempt to describe what I saw and felt.



Even in the best areas the roads were dust and rocks and trash lined the sides of the roads. Any buildings that could be considered usable were in some stage of disrepair. Most of the buildings were damaged beyond repair and yet life seemed to continue. People seemed to be eking out survival, that is the only way I can describe it. That opinion changed with time, yet at the moment all I saw was total devastation. This devastation occurred almost 5 years ago and they are still reeling from the aftermath. It was compounded by the preexisting poverty already in place and from the outside the situation looks hopeless.


Everywhere you looked one could see life trying to resurrect itself. People where living in these homes without roofs. People had built make shift shelters next to destroyed structures. Some had even made houses out of damaged truck trailers. On one particular trip I saw a wrecked school bus that had slammed into a stone wall. Instead of removing the bus the locals incorporated the bus into the wall for protection. The thing I began to notice the most was the ingenuity and resolve the people of Haiti had. I never really heard them complain or question their reality. They just seemed to get up and continue the best they could. Not sure how fair this statement is because I was there for a week and only met a small group of people but the impression I got was not of despair. I wonder how many of us in the states would not try to blame someone else for their predicament?


For us as a team, unity became the most important part of our trip. From staying together at the airport to supporting each other during emotional or physical stress, we fostered a  sense of community. That was very apparent when we made our first stop at the orphanage, before our final resting place for the evening. The response from the children was very heart warming and it became immediately apparent how much this team meant to the people of Haiti. It was not just about a group of Americans coming to help. It was about a group of people who had not seen each other for a long time. It was about people who were loved because of the relationship that had been built over the years. That is something to see. It was something I began to realize very quickly. I was allowed into this relationship and am grateful for the experience.

I fell in love with a country and its people in a very short week. The environment was harsh but the people make the country and the people were very accepting and open. Well, except the soccer players, they did talk a little smack. Good thing I did not know Creole.


Yes, I played soccer with Haitian teenagers and I held my own thank you very much.

The first day ended with us arriving at the Mission House, a new structure that Reach Haiti uses for its teams and for other visitors. We were tired and ready for bed. The first day was such a blessing and I could not wait for my trip into the mountain.......that would become the biggest challenge for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment